[Syrphidae] Re: Sympatry in Sphaerophoria

Leendert-Jan van der Ent ljvanderent at planet.nl
Mon Sep 14 21:04:10 BST 2020

Hi Ximo,

>From my experience in The Netherlands several species of Sphaerophoria can fly together but not in all possible combinations.
Never seen interrupta and philantha together as well virgata and interrupta or virgata and taeniata.
Also peak in flight period of species are not always similar so they may live sympatric but do not occur at the same time.

Based on habitat types you can find the following combinations:

(dry) hearther: scripta + virgata + batava (batava has become rare in The Netherlands over the past 2 decades!)

forests on sandy or peaty soils: scripta + batava + philantha*

wet hearther/ wet dune grasslands: scripta + philantha* + taeniata + fatarum (fatarum restricted to wet heather + fens)

flower rich grassland especially on clay soils: scripta + interrupta* + taeniata

*Outsite The Netherlands you can find interrupta and philantha in more habitats types.

Greetings,

Leendert-Jan van der Ent

>     Op 13-09-2020 08:12 schreef ximo mengual sanchis <xmengual at gmail.com>:
>

>     Dear all,
>
>     I have a question regarding Sphaerophoria. Based on my field experience, I would say that usually more than one Sphaerophoria species occur in the same locality.
>
>     I am interested on S. taeniata, virgata, scripta, interrupta and philantha. Can someone tell me if they are sympatric?
>
>     I collected in the same place scripta and taeniata, for example. Is it the same for philantha and virgata? or taeniata and interrupta?
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     Ximo
>
>     This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee
>     and may contain confidential information. If you have received this
>     message in error, please contact the sender and delete the email and
>     attachment.
>
>     Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not
>     necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham. Email
>     communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored
>     where permitted by law.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Leendert-Jan van der Ent