[Syrphidae] Can we distinguish male and female hoverflies at the pupal stages?

Yuri Ogawa yuri.ogawa at flinders.edu.au
Tue May 26 08:24:09 BST 2020

Dear all,

I am Yuri Ogawa who has been studies vision in hoverflies at Flinders University in Australia.
I would like to know whether anyone know how to distinguish male and female at the pupal stages or even larval stages. In fruit flies, their sex combs which only males have on the legs, can be a landmark even at the pupal stages. Would you know whether hoverflies have any landmarks to identify males and females?
I would really appreciate any insights relating to this.

Yours faithfully,
Yuri Ogawa