[Syrphidae] Re: papers from Hana Abu

Martin Hauser phycus at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 00:12:34 GMT 2020

Thanks a lot Francis! And to make it clear, Francis did all the work, I
just provided him with the latest volumes of the journal!
cheers
Martin

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 1:03 PM Francis Gilbert <
Francis.Gilbert at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

> hi everyone
>

> With Martin Hauser's help, I have extracted all the syrphid papers from
> the volumes of Hana Abu, the journal of the Japanese Dipterists Club. You
> can download the zipfile from:
>
> www.nottingham.ac.uk/~plzfg/misc/Hana_Abu_syrphid_papers.zip
>

> It is about 560 MB !
>

> Nearly all of them are OCR'd and so should cut & paste directly into
> Google Translate. Mostly they use the Japanese common names for the
> species, which are hilarious in translation, so beware: Google Translate is
> nowhere near as good as for French, German or Russian, for instance. They
> use a lot of pictures, and there are some really beautiful species,
> including several unknown ones.
>

> Most the information is taxonomic or faunistic, and so should be
> reasonably easy to make out. There are some really great papers there. The
> only one I have not extracted is the multipart Japanese translation of
> Mutin & Barkalov's key to Far Eastern species, which we already have in
> Russian - much easier to translate using Google!
>

> Very best wishes
>

> Francis
>

> Professor Francis Gilbert
>
> Room B132 Life Sciences, University Park
>
> University of Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK
>
> Tel 0115 951 3215
>
> webpage: www.nottingham.ac.uk/~plzfg/

> attachment.

> where permitted by law.

Dr. Martin Hauser
Senior Insect Biosystematist
California Department of Food and Agriculture
Plant Pest Diagnostics Branch
3294 Meadowview Road
Sacramento, CA 95832-1448
(916) 738-6677
cell: 217-3902417
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/ppd/staff/mhauser.html

38°28’38”N 121°28’10”

"Nothing is static. Everything is evolving. Everything is falling apart.”

― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club