[Syrphidae] Re: Sphegina-Paper

Stefan Pruner stefanpruner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 19:37:21 GMT 2020

Dear Jeroen!

I'm pleased you ask for more information, and pictures. I can only provide
you some rather bad ones, photographed through the microscope. I
concentrate on the characteristics mentioned in van Veen (that I use
mostly). Sternit 3 here is not wider than long as I see it, which would
point to S. cornifera, but the surstylus looks more like the one pictered
in van Veen for S. latifrons. But I can not see the characters van Veen
mentioned further: A bare line on the frons, and a partly undusted tergit
1.... So, my photos you find attached show the surstylus, and sternit 3. I
have not yet removed the genitals.

Do you have both papers - Kassebeer, and Vujić - and could you send them
for me?

Best wishes!

Stefan