[Syrphidae] Re: Why repeat a genus name as a subgenus?

Jeroen van Steenis j.van.steenis at xmsnet.nl
Sat Feb 8 10:47:48 GMT 2020

Dear Bastiaan

To add to this the by you mentioned subgenera are all separate genera as
understood now. Mind you the zoobank nomenclator is not a valid publication
with valid genera and subgenera.
For your website I would be cautious to use supposed name changes from the
nomeclator and rather use the "old" nomenclature unless you have recent
literature to build on.

For your examples see the filed guide by Jeff Skevington et al 2019 in
which Lejops in the wide sense is again split into its former genera
Anasimyia, Arctosyrphus, Lejops, Polydontomyia and even Eurimyia (for
lineata). Also Brachyopa and Hammerschmidtia are treated as separate genera.

Best wishes,

Jeroen

Op za 8 feb. 2020 om 10:23 schreef ximo mengual sanchis <xmengual at gmail.com