[Syrphidae] Re: Why repeat a genus name as a subgenus?

ximo mengual sanchis xmengual at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 09:22:50 GMT 2020

Hi Bastiaan,

This is merely a convention. If you have a subgenus name that differs from
the genus name, automatically you have a subgenus sensu stricto.

If you divide an orange into two pieces of different size, there will be a
smaller piece and (by default) a larger one.

Thus, as soon as you include some species in the subgenus X, you create
automatically the subgenus sensu stricto with the rest of species. The only
way to formally write this subgenus sensu stricto is writing two times the
same name, i.e., Sphaerophoria (Sphaerophoria) = Sphaerophoria sensu
stricto.

Cheers,

Ximo