[Syrphidae] Field Guide to the Flies of Northeastern North America

Jeff Skevington jhskevington at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 22:16:14 BST 2019

I have been meaning to send out an announcement on this and finally have
gotten to it. Apologies is someone else posted and I missed it.

In mid-May this year, our Field Guide to the Flies of Northeastern North
America was published (https://press.princeton.edu/titles/14224.html). This
book covers all syrphids found from Tennessee north to the high Arctic
(including Greenland) and west to roughly the Mississippi River. All 413
known species from this region are included in the guide. In addition to
providing identification information on the species, it includes many
previously unpublished things (new synonyms, new combinations, undescribed
species, DNA evidence for taxonomic decision making, etc.). The book
includes many photos of each species (both lab and field photos), maps that
include dots for the exact records as well as predictive ranges,
silhouettes showing the actual size of the animals, ecological information,
etc. There is also an extensive morphology section, glossary, checklist and
bibliography.

It is published by Princeton and available from most book sellers
(including Amazon, Indigo, Veldshop, Pemberly, etc.).

We hope that you enjoy it and help fill in the many gaps in our knowledge
before a second edition.

Jeff

--
Jeff Skevington, Research Scientist
Canadian National Collection of Insects, Arachnids and Nematodes
E-mail: jhskevington at gmail.com