[Syrphidae] Re: correct names

ximo mengual sanchis xmengual at gmail.com
Tue May 22 09:10:18 BST 2018

Hi Sander,

1- I would say Lejops vittatus, It was described as Mallota, but Lejops is
masculine.

2- Sericomyia bombiformis was described as Syrphus bombiformis. Sericomyia
is femenine, and formis has two terminations, -is, -is, -e. Thus, it would
be Sericomyia bombiforme to match the genus gender.

Regarding the change of the species epithet to match the genus gender, the
ICZN says that genus and species epithet must agree in gender (article 34:
http://www.iczn.org/iczn/index.jsp), except is it is a name in apposition
(article 31.2). Usually the old works do not mention 'name in apposition',
but the code recommends to treat the species name like this in case of
doubt (article 31.2.2). Thus, following the code, it could be possible to
use Sericomyia bombiformis.

3- Volucella superbiens Muller, 1776 was published before than Syrphus
mussitans Fabricius, 1777. Thus, you should us Sericomyia superbiens.

Cheers,

Ximo

Dr. Ximo Mengual
Head of the Diptera Section
Stiftung Zoologisches Forschungsmuseum Alexander Koenig
Leibniz-Institut für Biodiversität der Tiere
Adenauerallee 160
D-53113  Bonn, Germany
Phone: 0049 (0)228 9122 292
ZFMK web <https://www.zfmk.de/en/zfmk/ximo-mengual>