[Syrphidae] FW: papers

Francis Gilbert Francis.Gilbert at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Mar 18 07:14:08 GMT 2016

From: Frank Van de Meutter [mailto:frank.vandemeutter at kuleuven.be]
Sent: 18 March 2016 06:58
To: Francis Gilbert
Cc: Hoverfly discussion list
Subject: RE: papers

Dear all,
many thanks for the papers.
My problem remains however: can females of Paragus flammeus and P finitimus be told apart? (this applies to the Belgian situation)
If anyone feels he/she can comment on this?

More specific:
With regard to the depression in tergite 7 in P finitimus: I have not found this in presumed Paragus finitimus females (caught together with several males of P finitimus).
On the other hand, in a series of P flammeus females (caught together with male flammeus), one specimen exhibited this depression (but did not differ by any other means from the other females).
Also, the feature of long silverish hairs on tergite 5 does not differ among presumed females of the above species in Belgian material, and also the shape of tergites 7-8 does not accord with the drawings in the article of Goeldlin 1976 (repeated in Verlinden 1992, van Veen 2004).
Can anyone help me on this?

  best regards

Frank