[Syrphidae] Re: Request for Identification VII

Martin Hauser phycus at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 17:07:42 GMT 2015

Could be an Eupeodes, but these Syrphini are nearly impossible to get to
species or often even genus just from one photograph... and it would also
help if you would have included a locality, I guess they are from India.
And this is one of the least known places for Syrphids, partially because
it is nearly impossible to collect in India or to get any types or material
from there. Kumar Ghorpade (kumarsinh.g at gmail.com) knows a lot about
Oriental Syrphids and is your best guess in getting this material
identified.
Best wishes,
Martin

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 4:13 AM, aijaz wachkoo <aijaz_shoorida at yahoo.co.in>
wrote:

> Respected Expert,
>
> I seek your expertise in identifying the attached image of hover fly.
> Kindly do the needful.
>
> Best regards,
> Aijaz A Wachkoo

> University of Nottingham.

> permitted by UK legislation.

Dr. Martin Hauser
Senior Insect Biosystematist
California Department of Food and Agriculture
Plant Pest Diagnostics Branch
3294 Meadowview Road
Sacramento, CA 95832-1448
(916) 262-1154
cell: 217-3902417
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/ppd/staff/mhauser.html

38°29’18.66”N 121°32’40.61”W

"The things you own, they end up owning you"
"Fight Club" (1999)