[Syrphidae] Re: Syrphids as invasive species

Martin Hauser phycus at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 18:24:43 GMT 2015

Cyrille,

I second your identification, clearly predatory Cecidomyiidae! Also the E
tenax is E. arbustorum (5516409) an the Simosyrphus (5507035) is a female
of Eristalis stipator!
1599325 is Toxomerus politus
And in the US they refer to Cheilosia grossa under C. corydon.... and this
one was introduced as a biocontrol agent to fight the European thistle...
54544290 is Eupeodes, likely E. americanus
5454418 is Toxomerus marginatus
5454419 is my favorite, a Bombyliidae Poecilanthrax very likely P. lucifer

I just realized there are much more records, but it is not worth my time
going through that... another big database full of errors and useless
information...
Cheers
Martin

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Cyrille DUSSAIX <cyrille.dussaix at orange.fr>
wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> Especially the pictures of 5485943, 5485944 (perhaps ?), 5485945, 5485946  are
> not syrphid larvae but  Cecidomyiidae...
>
> Happy New Year.
>

> Le 06/01/2015 17:28, Francis Gilbert a écrit :
>
>  The list doesn't look like a list of invasives, but of a random set of
> pictures including a lot of invasives.
>

> Surely most invasive species have colonised because of humans, whether
> deliberate or not, so the distinction does not seem to be a useful one. The
> key point is that most colonisations fail, however they occur in the forst
> place: it is the successful ones that become 'invasives' and the reasons
> for that success are interesting and worth studying.
>

> Francis
>

> *From:* syrphidae-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk [

Dr. Martin Hauser
Senior Insect Biosystematist
California Department of Food and Agriculture
Plant Pest Diagnostics Branch
3294 Meadowview Road
Sacramento, CA 95832-1448
(916) 262-1154
cell: 217-3902417
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/ppd/staff/mhauser.html

38°29’18.66”N 121°32’40.61”W

"The things you own, they end up owning you"
"Fight Club" (1999)