[Syrphidae] Re: Syrphids as invasive species

Francis Gilbert Francis.Gilbert at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Jan 6 16:28:51 GMT 2015

The list doesn't look like a list of invasives, but of a random set of pictures including a lot of invasives.

Surely most invasive species have colonised because of humans, whether deliberate or not, so the distinction does not seem to be a useful one. The key point is that most colonisations fail, however they occur in the forst place: it is the successful ones that become 'invasives' and the reasons for that success are interesting and worth studying.

Francis