[Syrphidae] Re: Merodon trochantericus on the Channel Islands

x.lair at laposte.net x.lair at laposte.net
Wed Aug 19 22:54:30 BST 2015

Dear Steven,

I'm not really surprised by Tim Ransom's discoverey in Jersey: Merodon trochantericus is also present all along Manche coast, between Cotentin and Mount Saint-Michel. From North to South:
Biville - 04/07/2006, dunes (Xavier Lair)
Carteret - 28/06/2007, coastal cliffs (Philippe Sagot)
Blainville-sur-mer - 24/07/2004 dunes (P. Sagot)
Champeaux - 09-12/08/2006 coastal cliffs, on Scilla autumnalis (X. Lair)
Carolles - 14/06/2005 coastal cliffs on Jasiona (X. Lair)

I also found it on Brittany coast in 2010 (2 localities in Finistère).
Adults on M. trochantericus can be found on on Scilla autumnalis on later summer in cliffs, it's not impossible that the larvae feed with this plant (Liliaceae)
M. trochantericus is probably present in Manche since a long time, we found it when we seriously started inventory hoverflies in Manche in the years 2000...
Maybe this species shows a thermo-atlantic distribution, such as other species (Tabanus eggeri, Podalonia luffii, or Chrysis grohmanni, Lasioglossum smeathmanellum) all present in Manche but absent inland and in most of North-West European countries.

If needed, i will send you the previous published data with M. trocanhtericus in Normandy and Brittany.
Best wishes

Xavier Lair