[Syrphidae] Re: introduced Syrphidae ?

Hoverfly discussion list syrphidae at lists.nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Dec 5 10:36:13 GMT 2014

Dear Kurt,

To prove that Syrphidae species are introduced by man in new areas of course is very difficult. You never know how wind might disperse them over vast distances. For instance there are records for from land of Syrphidae on oil drill platforms or light ships. However, there is quite some knowledge on species being moved by humans and on species occuring at places were it is almost obvious humans will have introduced them.

There is a paper by Osten Sacken (1905) on the invasion of Eristalis tenax in the New World. Probably E. tenax is also introduced in Australia.
Also Eristalis arbustorum might be an introduced species in North America. Jeff Skevington is studying the recent replacement of Eristalis brousii by E. arbustorum. I do not know if he published something already.
There are several papers on Eumerus introduced in North America. From one of the species, E. narcissi, its origin is not known until know. This species very recently also arrived in Europe (Speight et al, 2013).
Also introduction of Eristalinus aeneus in North America is probably helped by humans.
Cheilosia caerulescens and C. semifasciata are very often found in their host plants in plant shops in the Netherlands. Of course Menno is right you cannot prove that they only have been introduced by man, but at least part of the Dutch populations are human introductions.
Episyrphus balteatus now a days is used to prey on aphids in greenhouses in the Netherlands. I do not know whether it is used outside its natural range.

Best wishes

Wouter