[Syrphidae] Re: Free Reprints, etc.

chrisyrph at aol.com chrisyrph at aol.com
Fri Sep 13 20:22:55 BST 2013

Dear Chris,

Many thanks for the offer and I would very much appreciate reprints for your papers as follows, if available:-

Hippa, H.& Thompson, F. C. 1983. Meropidia, a new genus of flower flies (Diptera: Syrphidae).Papeis Avulsos Zool., S. Paulo 35: 109-115.
Hippa, H.& Thompson, F. C. 1994 Revision of the Sterphus cybele species group (Diptera:Syrphidae). Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 96:483-495.
Thompson, F. C. 1996 Spilomyia flower flies of the New World(Diptera: Syrphidae). Memoirs
of theEntomological Society of Washington 18: 261-272.
Zumbado,M & Thompson, F. C. 1997 Nuevas especies de Sterphus (Diptera: Syrphidae) de CostaRica con notas sobre especies presentes en Costa Rica. SouthwestEntomologist 22: 79-90.
Thompson,F. C.1999 A key tothe genera of the flower flies (Diptera: Syrphidae) of the Neotropical Regionincluding descriptions of new genera and species and a glossary of taxonomicterms used. Contr. Ent. International 3: 321-378.

I already have most  of your other syrphid publications including a well used copy of your 'Syrphidae of the West Indies' which I have found so useful, particularly during visits to St Lucia (2011) and Cuba (2006 and 2012). A surprising species (males and females) I recorded from Cuba during both visits was Palpada furcata (Wied.) and I have been unable to find any references for this species occurring in Cuba or elsewhere in the West Indies. Are you aware of any records? If not, do you think it is worth publishing and , if so, which journal might accept a note?

We have not met as I have been unable to attend previous Syrphidae meetings due to work pressures as Head of Collections for Hampshire County Council Museums Service, a large regional museum service in the UK. However, I have been collecting and studying Syrphidae since the early 1980's (although originally a fish biologist by training) working mainly in France during periods of vacation from my 'day job'. Since my early retirement in late 2012, I now have more time to concentrate on my research interests.

I am currently busy sorting through syrphid material collected from the Russian Far East and Altai prior and post the symposia in Novosibirsk. An absolutely brilliant trip and great to meet up with people like Jeff Skevington, Ximo Mengual, as well as the Dutch and German contingents. Also, seeing Ante Vujic again was a plus as we had corresponded and met previously in relation to work on Merodon in the eastern Mediterranean (particularly Chios and Cyprus). Unfortunately, I was the only person from the UK able to make the trip and symposia this time which was a shame. However, it was not the best symposia (in terms of content) I have ever attended although the location was excellent with very good collecting actually on campus.

Anyway, all the best for the future.

Kind regards

Chris Palmer

6 Gofton Avenue, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO6 2NG, UK
chrisyrph at aol.com