[Syrphidae] Re: reference request - impacts of pesticides on hover flies

Chris Thompson xelaalex at cox.net
Wed Sep 11 20:44:20 BST 2013

Thad:

I wish I could point you to a scientifically published analysis, but unfortunately as far as I aware there are none.

However as an individual who is aware of the issue, I can say on my walks around my home area [in northern Virginia, outside of Washington], etc., I have over the recent years seen a distinct decline in honey bees, but other pollinators, including syrphids and other bees, not much change.

Syrphids maintain their relative abundance as pollinators as their life-history does not depend on pollen [beyond some limited evidence that suggest egg production may be dependent on female health, etc., and there amount of pollen females taken in, etc.]

Oh, well ...

Sincerely,

Chris Thompson

from home