[Syrphidae] Re: abundance of Eristalis larvae in microhabitat 2

Santos Rojo santos.rojo at ua.es
Tue Jan 29 09:10:10 GMT 2013

Dear Grigory

One of our students it is working in a PhD-project about multiple
aspects of Eritalis and Eristalinus larval and imaginal biology
relative to artificial breeding. This project will be defended very
soon.
As Francis indicate it is very difficult to find information about
larval densities or intraspecific competition. We sample in pig farms
looking for eristaline larvae (mainly slurry) and as Wouter indicate,
it is really incredible the quantity of larvae that apparently could
develop. We do not know the scale of this densities but it is sure
that also high percentages of mortalities could exist.

We develop several lab experiments about this subject with E. tenax
and two species of Eristalinus. In the lab experiments the results
indicate that, the effect to increase larval density causes an
increase in the periods of development, a reduction in the survival
and a reduction in final size of the imagoes. This will be published
also soon, but for example densities of 20-40-60 L-1 E. tenax with
200 ml liquid media survive more than 60% in most cases in some
media, but in other cases this percentage reduce until 30% or less
with 100 L-1 initial density...

Best regards

Santos