[Syrphidae] Re: abundance of Eristalis larvae in microhabitat

Wouter van Steenis w.v.steenis at casema.nl
Mon Jan 28 20:23:16 GMT 2013

Hi Gregory,

I have seen Eristalis tenax and Eristalinus aeneus emerging from a liquid manure storage. We found hunderds of E. tenax emerged from a storage beneath a cowshed of maybe 200 m2. Probably we saw only part of the flies. So that is at the very least one emerging fly per day per m2. I could not see how many larvae were in the manure, but that will have been many many more.

Myathropa florea could reach comparable densities in little pools at the base of beech Fagus sylvaticus. In a little waterbody of 20*20 cm and 10 cm deep you could find several larvae. So that is in the lower range of the numbers Francis gives.
No literature references, just my own observations.

Wouter

Wouter van Steenis
Vogelmelk 4
3621 TP Breukelen