[Syrphidae] Re: ID = Microdon

Menno Reemer m_reemer at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 22 13:17:26 BST 2013

Hi,

Sorry, thanks to Chris' reply I realize that my previous message was not totally accurate.
Besides Metadon inermis Loew and M. mynthes Seguy (the species I already mentioned), there are two other described Afrotropical species with black thorax and reddish abdomen: Microdon erythros Bezzi & M. luteivenris Bezzi (note difference in generic placement!). Apart from differences between the genera Metadon and Microdon, which cannot be readily seen on the photograph, the latter two species (erythros and luteiventris) differ from the first two by their clear wings (dusky in inermis & mynthes) and the absence of lateral patches of silverish pile on the tergites.

Best wishes to all,

Menno

P.S.: The paper on Microdontinae just published in ZooKeys is open access, so anyone can download it for free.