[Syrphidae] Re: Arctophila bombiformis

eckvana eckvana at xs4all.nl
Mon May 21 11:06:08 BST 2012

Dear Francis,

With a face like that, it can only be one. Hence the
ID is correct: Arctophila bombiformis!

Greetings,

André van
Eck
Tilburg
Netherlands

Francis Gilbert schreef op 2012-05-21 10:28:

> hi everyone
>
> Thanks to all who responded to my request. If
anyone else has an opinion on whether this is a strange morph of
Volucella bombylans or Arctophila bombiformis, especially those who have
actually seen Arctophila bombiformis in nature, then please feel free to
let me know.

> The photo was taken by Professor Pat Willmer on 2
Sept 2005 in her garden near St Andrews, Scotland. If it is this
species, it will of course be new to Great Britain - hence the interest!

www.nottingham.ac.uk/~plzfg

> School of Biology, University Park,
>

> University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
> (+44)(0)115 951
3215

> This email is private and may be confidential. It is intended
for the recipient(s) only. If misdirected, please notify me and confirm
that it has been deleted from your system. You are strictly prohibited
from using, printing, copying, distributing or disseminating this email
or any information contained in it to third parties without the
permission of the originator. Nothing contained within this email is
intended to constitute or imply the basis of a contract with the
recipient. All contracts can only be entered into following signature by
an authorised signatory of the University of Nottingham.

> This
message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may
contain confidential information. If you have received this message in
error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it. Please do
not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or
in any attachment. Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this
email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of
Nottingham.

> This message has been checked for viruses but the
contents of an attachment may still contain software viruses which could
damage your computer system: you are advised to perform your own checks.
Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored
as permitted by UK legislation.