[Syrphidae] message from Anatolii

Francis Gilbert Francis.Gilbert at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Dec 3 09:35:49 GMT 2012

hi everyone

Further to my recent email, Anatolii has found out that against the type of encephalitis in the Altai, the Tomsk vaccine works best. The Moscow vaccine is less effective, while the Austrian/German vaccine only works against European forms of encephalitis, not those of the Altai.

In case you cannot get vaccinated, do not worry. Thousands of unvaccinated people visit the Altai every year and only a few get bitten by mites and ticks, only a very small proportion of which carry encephalitis. It's just a precautionary measure.

This was the same for my visit some years ago to the Far East. The risk is low of being bitten by a tick that carries the disease. Very few local people suffered. But sometimes the consequences can be serious.

Again, please forward this email to anyone who might not be on the list.

With best wishes, and thanks

Francis

Dr Francis Gilbert
www.nottingham.ac.uk/~plzfg
School of Biology, University Park,
University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
(+44)(0)115 951 3215

This email is private and may be confidential.  It is intended for the recipient(s) only.  If misdirected, please notify me and confirm that it has been deleted from your system. You are strictly prohibited from using, printing, copying, distributing or disseminating this email or any information contained in it to third parties without the permission of the originator.  Nothing contained within this email is intended to constitute or imply the basis of a contract with the recipient.  All contracts can only be entered into following signature by an authorised signatory of the University of Nottingham.