[Syrphidae] Re: FW: Hoverfly video

Steven Falk steven at sfalk.wanadoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 31 14:33:49 BST 2012

Just a quick note to let you all know that the British Syrphidae photo
collection on my Flickr sites is nearing completion, and now features some
images of Eristalis cryptarum from Dartmoor, UK.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63075200@N07/collections/72157629600153789/

A gorgeous creature now very rare in Britain. It clearly likes acidic mire
with Sphagnum, Hypericum elodes etc. but I also suspect it is a poor
competitor that avoids sites with strong populations of other Eristalis
species and also the muscid Graphomya which predates Eristalis larvae. We
found it at sites where Eristalis-attracting flowers like Angelica and
Valerian were scarce. Buglife (the organisation I now work for) has an
ongoing  research project for this species. Does anybody have any experience
of cryptarum, especially oviposition observations?

Also some nice images of other Eristalis including hovering interruptus!

Best wishes,

Steven

Steven Falk

Artist - Naturalist - Photographer

www.stevenfalk.co.uk

Wildlife identification & information resources at:

www.flickr.com/people/63075200 at N07/

  _____