[Syrphidae] Re: syrphid developmental defect? or visual efect?

Jean-Pierre SARTHOU sarthou at ensat.fr
Thu May 12 05:02:10 BST 2011

Dear Ximo,

According to me, there is nothing so odd: this "hole" is simply caused
by the wet and dark proboscis, when pulled up into to buccal cavity, it
(or more precisely the membrane which links it to the head tegument)
touches the face tegument (which is more or less transluscent) inside
and leads to this dark patch on the knob.
I hope that it is nothing more complicated than that!

Best regards,
Jean-Pierre

Le 12/05/2011 03:37, ximo mengual sanchis a écrit :
> Dear friends,
>
> I'm not a big fan of these things but this forum has an interesting
> gif image (animated picture). My friend Keith sent me the link of a
> flower fly (Epistrophe eligans) with a weird "visual efect". There
> appears to be a mobile hole in the fly's face that opens when it moves
> its proboscis, the gif is mesmerizing and a little grotesque. What do
> you think caused this?
>
> http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1005789
>

> Best regards,
>
> Ximo
>

> --
> Dr. Ximo Mengual
> Department of Entomology
> Smithsonian Institution
> PO Box 37012, MRC-0169
> Rm CE-607
> Washington, D.C. 20013-7012
> Phone: +1 (202) 633-1004
> e-mail: mengualj at si.edu <mailto:mengualj at si.edu>
> http://entomology.si.edu/StaffPages/MengualJ.html
>
> For FEDEX:
> Smithsonian Institution
> National Museum of Natural History (NHB)
> Department of Entomology
> 10th & Constitution NW
> Phone: +1 (202) 633-1004
> Washington, DC 20560-0169

> message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete
> it. Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in
> this message or in any attachment. Any views or opinions expressed by
> the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the
> University of Nottingham.

> computer system: you are advised to perform your own checks. Email
> permitted by UK legislation.

> This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

<http://www.ensat.fr>
*Jean-Pierre SARTHOU*
Agroécologie - Entomologie
Tél : +33 (0)5 34 32 39 26