[Syrphidae] Pollen retention and movement of hoverflies

Erik Nelson ehnelson at berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 22 21:01:20 BST 2011

Dear colleagues,

I have two questions for you.

(1) How long do pollen grains stay in a syrphid's digestive tract? In
other words, what is a syrphid's gut retention time for pollen? My
reason for asking is that I want to calculate syrphid movement rates
from distance and time.If syrphids retain pollen for (say) 8 hours, that
may be the best value to use for “time”. Please inform me of any
existing data sets or journal articles.

(2) I want to summarize existing studies that measure movement by hover
flies. Can you recommend any published studies that should be added to
the list below?

Thank you,

Erik Nelson
University of California, at Berkeley

============List of studies that measure movement by hover
flies==============
-----Study -------------------------------------- Species
---------------------------- Methods ------------
Wratten et al. 1995, Phenology and ecology … M. novaezelandiae Visual
observations
Wratten et al. 1995, Phenology and ecology … M. fasciatum Visual
observations
Wratten et al. 2003, Field boundaries… E.balteatus and M. corollae Pan
traps, gut pollen
Wratten et al. 2003, Field boundaries… M. fasciatum Pan traps, gut pollen
Hickman et al. 2005: Effect of hunger… E.balteatus Pan traps, gut pollen
Bowie, 2001: Ecology and morphology … A. ventralis Pan traps, gut pollen
Lövei et al, 1998: Dispersal and barriers… M. fasciatum Pan traps, gut
pollen
Schneider, 1948 (cited in Lövei 1998): Beitrag zur … Scaeva pyrastri Pan
traps, gut pollen
Arrignon et al., 2007: Modelling the overwintering … E.balteatus
simulation Individual-based simulation model
Freeman Long et al., 1998: Beneficial insects move… Toxomerus sp. and
others Sticky cards, rubidium labelled flowers
Laubertie, 2007 thesis, p. 61 M. novaezelandiae Pan traps, gut pollen
Laubertie, 2007 thesis, p. 61 M. fasciatum Pan traps, gut pollen
Harwood et al. 1994, Field margins … E.balteatus Pan traps, gut pollen