[Syrphidae] FW: Question regarding old syrphidae specimens -Scaeva lithuanica

Francis Gilbert Francis.Gilbert at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Oct 21 10:45:38 BST 2010

From: Ulrich Schmid [mailto:ulrich.schmid at smns-bw.de]
Sent: 21 October 2010 07:36
To: Hoverfly discussion list
Subject: Re: [Syrphidae] FW: Question regarding old syrphidae specimens -Scaeva lithuanica

"Mihi" is a latin word and means "by me". In former times collectors used to label specimens they considered to be new to science in this way. If these names are ever published together with a description the specimens subsequently will be labeled as type. However, in most cases these names are never published and so without any value.
Kind regards,
Ulrich