[Syrphidae] re: FW: Question regarding old syrphidae specimens - Scaeva lithuanica

Andrius andrius at gamtoj.com
Thu Oct 21 09:56:52 BST 2010

  Dear Paul, André and Kumar,

 As Paul has correctly pointed out, my initial intention is to find
the original description of that Scaeva lithuanica, if one exists at
all.
 As the meaning of "mihi" in latin was clear to me and there are
rather few creatures with a name "lithuanica", I thought this could
ease the finding of the very person who identified this specimen, so
most probably other old specimens of howerflies and other flies in our
collection.
 André, the first picture with Chrysotoxum illustrates the similarity
of the labels, possibly written by the same person at the same time
period of 1840-1844.

 Thanks everyone for suggestions!

> Scaeva lithuanica author (??).  You will need to check Sack's or
> Rotheray & Thompson's Palaearctic work or Thomspon's World database
> to see if this species is listed (indexed ?) there at least as a synonym.
> "Mihi" meanbs 'mine' in Latin and refers to the author who has
> written the label.  The specimens ar not properly visible to give a genus name at least.

> Dr Kumar Ghorpade, B.Sc.(Agri.), M.Sc., Ph.D. (Entomol.).

> Andre, in those days 'mihi' was added to denote 'mine', or 'by me'.
> Inconvenient if you do not know who the specimen was identified by, so it is
> now hoped someone will recognise the writing or know of a manuscript or even
> publication containing the name. Your 'You will have to find his
> description.'was the exact intention of the initial post, I think. ;)
>
> Paul

Andrius

  mailto:andrius at gamtoj.com