[Syrphidae] Catching females!

Perkins, Matthew mjp223 at exeter.ac.uk
Sun May 23 18:27:44 BST 2010

Hello,

I am about ot begin my first years PhD research and will be constructing food chains in the laboratory. I would like to culture the hoverfly Syrphus vitripennis but think I may have collected only males.

I understand from my I.D guide that male's have eyes that are 'together' when looking down onto their (top) dorsal side, whilst females have a gap. However, I have so far only been able to locate conspicuous males hovering or basking in good numbers around the hedgerows.

I wondered if anyone had any good tips for finding where the females are hiding (or any less dubious I.D techniques)?

Any advice would be great!

thanks,

Matt Perkins

PhD Researcher