[Syrphidae] RE: Raising Syrphus larvae

Graham Rotheray G.Rotheray at nms.ac.uk
Mon Jun 28 10:13:29 BST 2010

Dear Matt (& Chris), Re your queries about rearing aphidophagous larvae,
I have reared many species over the years.  Under the rearing conditions
Matt describes, you shouldn't have any particular problems.

However, I know well the dead 'blackened' larvae you have encountered.
Some mortality is to be expected in cultures and there is nothing
special you can do to prevent it, other than carrying on and hoping the
proportion dying remains small.  The main dangers to larvae in culture
are desiccation and the quality and quantity of prey.  Use of damp
cotton wool plugs should ensure there is enough (& not too much)
moisture in your tubes and providing small to medium sized aphids until
larvae have reached the 3rd stage when they will take a wider range of
prey sizes, should be OK.

Not all aphid species are suitable even for a polyphagous species like
S. ribesii, and although you don't mention what aphid species you are
offering, I assume that is something you are aware of.   Also switching
between aphid species presented as prey can sometimes cause mortality
and should be avoided.  Larvae, especially small ones, are obviously
more vulnerable and require care in handling, i.e. use a brush to move
them about rather than tweezers or forceps.

After larvae have finished feeding and emptied the hind gut, they are
best removed to clean tubes and gently wrapped in slightly moistened
tissue paper.  Tubes should be stored in cool, dark conditions.
Depending on time of year, it will be 2-3 weeks before adults appear or
larvae will aestivate for several weeks or hibernate for several months.
The tissue paper should be replaced every few weeks to prevent fungal
infection.

Hope this is helpful.

All best wishes,

Graham