[Syrphidae] need help with the conservation of hoverflies

Menno Reemer m_reemer at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 16 15:13:25 BST 2010

Hi,

I have tried acetone, but I don’t recommend it. Specimens get extremely brittle.
Instead, you could try amylacetate. Very smelly stuff (reminiscent of winegums, some people like it), but reputedly harmless. Soak the specimens for 24 hours and then dry them. This is also a reasonable method to ensure that specimens that have previously been kept on alcohol keep their body shape. With small specimens you should pin them before you put them into the liquid, because otherwise there’s a big chance that the head will roll off.
Before putting them in amylacetate, you could consider soaking the specimens in a mixture of ethanol and xylene for 24 hours. This degreases the specimens, which increases the chance they keep a good colour (although they tend to get a shade paler). However, xylene is said to be carcinogenic, so I don’t like to use it at home.

A way to prevent syrphids losing their colours without using chemicals is to try to keep them as dry as possible. So don’t use too much ethyl acetate in your killing jar, don’t put too many specimens in one jar, don’t leave them in too long, keep it out of the sun etc.

Cheers,

Menno

M. Reemer
European Invertebrate Survey - Nederland
p/a Nationaal Natuurhistorisch Museum - . naturalis
Postbus 9517
2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands
Telephone: 071- 5687594 (from abroad +31-71-5687594)
Fax: 071-5687666 (from abroad +31-71-5687666)
menno.reemer at ncbnaturalis.nl
http://science.naturalis.nl/reemer
www.naturalis.nl/eis