[Syrphidae] Raising Syrphus larvae

Pavel Láska laskap at seznam.cz
Thu Jul 1 15:50:53 BST 2010

Hi Matt, I was absent some days, so that I am late. The 6 specimens of Syrphus ribesii and 2 spec. of S.vitripennis I reared many time ago. Only one was died before emergence. Larvas development was 12-15days in other 2  23 days (facultative diapause), puparium in all 11-12 days. Individually epruvets of about 10 or later  20 ml coated with cotton was daily provided with aphids. In present season the Uroleucon cichorii on Crepis biennis or Cichorium intibus, or Aphis fabae on Beta (in late spring) without piece of host plant. In the case of inactivity of larvae the were refresh with water on brush directly to larvae. All in room temperature about  22°C. If you wish I could send further  details. The results, including the daily consumptions of aphids was published in less known CzechJournal in 1959. The success is wishing by                     Pavel Láska                                           ----- Original Message -----