[Syrphidae] freeze tolerance in tree-hole species

Frank Van de Meutter Frank.VandeMeutter at Bio.kuleuven.be
Tue Feb 9 09:55:25 GMT 2010

Hi all,

I planned this winter to start a search for some rare water filled
treehole/treecavities inhabiting syrphids in Belgium. Winter is however
particularly harsh here (and over much of Europe), and all these small
water bodies that I visited are frozen for more than six weeks now. It
appears to me that the whole of the water content in the tree rotholes
and cavities is now frozen. This makes me question whether syrphid
larvae will be able to survive these conditions? Even if not all is
frozen, they should experience oxygen shortage? Comparably, in ponds and
pools, it is known that severe frost may also wipe out a considerable
fraction of the aquatic community (though I know nothing on syrphids
living there). When the water starts to melt I will see whether many
dead larvae can be found. Right now, I would like to ask whether anyone
has some previous experience/knowledge on this?

beste wishes,

Frank