[Syrphidae] A new post on two Syrphids from Thailand = two for two!!

Chris Thompson xelaalex at cox.net
Thu Aug 26 19:22:39 BST 2010

Interesting.

First, the proper genus is Mesembrius, Not HELOPHILUS. Whether the species is insignis Walker is not certain as the critical characters can not be seen in the photograph.

Second, while Eristalinus avorum is a valid name, the species is not avorum, but probably megacephalus Rossi.

I am willing to help with identification and proper classification of flower flies, but in most cases, one needs to collect VOUCHER specimens as many species can only be identified on the basis of characters of wing microtrichia, male genitalia, etc., which can not be seen in photographs.

Sincerely,

Chris

F. Christian Thompson
Dept. Entomology