[Syrphidae] request for a paper

Don Miller entdon at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 15:26:19 BST 2010

Dr.Gharali:

I'm a retired professor living in northeastern Vt USA. I got my Ph.D working
on the ecology small mammals but am very interested in many insect groups,
inc. the syrphids although I am definitely not a taxonomist. I'm a zoologist
and
field ecologist. I have about 300 specimens of syrphids. I can't find anyone
in my area to help me Identify these which distresses me a great deal.
I will soon have to find a place for my collection since I am over 70 and
realistically I don't have too many productive years left! We all face that
some
day, I'm sure.  It seems that there is a far greater interest in the
syrphids,
especially their ecology and biology-as opposed to taxonomy- in Europe
and the Middle East than there is in this country.

In some places in this country there are people who go out and collect
the larvae of certain syrphids and sell them in bulk quanity as bait for
fish.  I am very fascinated by the mimicry or apparent mimicry that goes
on between the adults of many syrphids and that of many ichneumonidae.
I assume you have many examples of that in your fauna.

Anywise, aside from the above, have  you checked the Entomological Soc. of
America's web site? I'm quite sure one of their journals is Environmental
Entomology and you might be able to get a copy of the paper you want to read
from
that site. Of course if  your institution subscribed to it there would be no
problem.
If you are a member you can access a number of their journals free from
their
site. Alternatively, you could write to the President or  someone and they
might
simply send you a copy. I hope this might be of some slight help to you. I
don't have
that journal else I would gladly send you a copy. I know how frustrating it
is to know
there is a key paper some where that  you can't get access to. Doesn't you
library
have some type of internet program for faculty to get copies of papers and
even
books from other libraries?  I can do that even from our very small library
here in Lyndonville, Vt, at no charge to myself!

Good luck with all your research plans.

Donald H.. Miller, Ph.D
Prof.Emeritus, Vt. State Colleges, USA-Lyndon: zoology and ecology.
Lyndonville, Vt.