[Syrphidae] Mating syrphids

Chris Thompson xelaalex at cox.net
Mon Jun 15 19:43:04 BST 2009

Chris:

Wednesdy I will leave for the bi-annual international workshop on flower
flies in Serbia.

When I get back I will see about finding references for you.

Rearing syrphids in captivity is a mixed bag. Some species are easy to rear
and are routinely used in laboratories (Eristalis tenax and Episyrphus
balteatus) and for greenhouse pollination. However, USDA attempts at using
Cheilosia for the biological control of thistle failed as they could not get
colonies going. Males would simply not mate in a cage.

What you need to do urgently is spend time in the field watching Heringia
calcarata, seeing how it mates, etc. For example, do the males hover and
then mate with the females in the air? Or do the males meet the females on a
leave and simply climb on board, etc

More later ....

Cheers