AW: [Syrphidae] 5th International Symposium on Syrphidae - secondannouncement and registration form

Karsten Schonrogge ksc at ceh.ac.uk
Wed Feb 25 09:05:21 GMT 2009

I finally found out why I was copied into the message and have seen the images on the website. I would agree with Ulrich in that the puparia I've seen of M. mutabilis were never that deeply reticulated and it does look much more like M. analis.

Since the original paper on M. myrmicae I have had reliable records for this species from various places around Europe mainly from an EU funded project that was looking for Maculinea butterflies in Myrmica nests and where I could inject an interest in Microdon. However, I haven't heard, seen or read about M. mutabilis and have been left with the impression that apart from 5 populations in the British Isles I am aware of in the western palaearctic there might be some in Scandinavia and potentially in some mountainous - alpine regions. If you have any good records of M. mutabilis and possibly of the ants they live with, I would be really interested.

Cheers

  Karsten

Karsten  Schönrogge

Associate Editor: Insect Conservation & Diversity
(http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1752-458X&site=1)
CEH Wallingford,
Maclean Building,
Benson Lane,
Crowmarsh Gifford,
Wallingford, Oxfordshire, OX10 8BB

T: +44 (0)1491 692410
M: +44 (0)7951 881468
F: +44 (0)1491 692424
Skype: karsten schonrogge, Wallingford, UK

>>> ulrich.schmid.smns at naturkundemuseum-bw.de 25/02/2009 07:41 >>>

Hi Pieter,
please have a second look on your Microdon puparium. Looks like the puparium of Microdon analis, as described in the paper in Volucella 7, 111-124, 2004.
Kind regards
Ulrich

Ulrich Schmid
Abteilungsleiter
Bildung und Öffentlichkeitsarbeit
Staatliches Museum für Naturkunde Stuttgart
Rosenstein 1
70191 Stuttgart
Fon +49 711 8936 263
Fax +49 711 8936 200