[Syrphidae] call for Microdontinae material

Reemer, M. Reemer at naturalis.nnm.nl
Mon Dec 24 07:43:37 GMT 2007

Dear syrphid friends,

Earlier this year I have started working on the taxonomy and phylogeny of the Microdontinae of the world. My primary aim is a generic revision and phylogenetic classification, based on a combination of morphological and molecular characters. This project will take a couple of years and should eventually result in a PhD-thesis.
Scattered over many collections there is quite a lot of pinned material available (including approximately 400 type specimens), which can be used for the morphological analysis. However, it is much more difficult to obtain recently collected specimens, preserved in alcohol, for the molecular analysis. For this part I would appreciate your help.
I am predominantly interested in non-European taxa. Microdontinae are especially diverse in tropical regions. Apart from the (very large and polyphyletic) genus Microdon, I am also interested in taxa like Mixogaster, Paramicrodon, Ptilobactrum, Rhoga etc.
If you have any Microdontinae specimens available on alcohol, which you would like to share with me, please contact me. I'm also interested in examining dry preserved specimens, especially from tropical regions. I would appreciate any contrbution, even if it's just a single specimen!

All best wishes and a merry Christmas,

Menno Reemer
	M. Reemer
	European Invertebrate Survey - Nederland
	p/a Nationaal Natuurhistorisch Museum - . naturalis
	Postbus 9517
	2300 RA Leiden
	The Netherlands
	Telephone: 071- 5687594 (from abroad +31-71-5687594)
	Fax: 071-5687666 (from abroad +31-71-5687666)
	reemer at naturalis.nl
	www.naturalis.nl/eis