[Syrphidae] Syrphidae revisions in EDIT

Irina Brake i.brake at nhm.ac.uk
Tue Sep 5 13:58:38 BST 2006

Dear collegues,

Thanks to everyone who responded to my email in June about the
participation of Syrphidae in the EDIT project (European Distributed
Institute of Taxonomy). The amount of responses encouraged us to add
Syrphidae as one of the target taxa in EDIT.

I am now established in London and have started to work on EDIT. One of
my first aims is to establish a syrphid network, which is quite easy
thanks to this mailing list. In future I will send most emails
concerning EDIT only to the collegues who expressed an interest in EDIT
and just general information to this mailing list.

The aim of EDIT is to enhance cooperation between taxonomists and to
migrate taxonomic data to an internet platform. There are several
workpackages and as member of WP6, "Unifying revisonary taxonomy", I
coordinate the taxonomic side, while another workpackage is responsible
for developing the tools necessary for online revisions. Since the
project runs for 4.5 years, it will take some time before those tools
are ready for use. So to start getting some information online we are
now looking for papers of revisions, which are unpublished but
peer-reviewed and accepted by a journal. We intend to mark these
manuscripts up in xml and make the content and figures available on the
Syrphidae site (with appropriate acknowledgements). We will not make the
original pdfs available. In order for this to work, the authors must
retain the copyright for the paper and give the journal only the
exclusive right to publish. Does anyone have a suitable paper available?

In October our IT person will start his job and develop the EDIT portal
and necessary web structures. After that we can hopefully start to put
the first data online.

As a backbone for information retrieval at the portal we will use the
syrphid names of the Biosystematic Database of World Diptera. Thanks to
Chris Thompson for developing such a great tool for us all!

Best wishes,

Irina

Dr. Irina Brake
European Distributed Institute of Taxonomy (EDIT) Department of
Entomology

Natural History Museum

Cromwell Road

London SW7 5BD