[Syrphidae] RE: Syrphidae Digest, Vol 17, Issue 2

Josh Rubenstein joshrube at hotmail.com
Wed May 3 16:37:40 BST 2006

Hello Everybody,

   Thanks to everyone who passed on, the useful information.  Dr. Thompson
thank you for the follow up.  My interest is in learning to, ID Syrphidae
and their general phenology here in Boston, USA, obtain flower records for
species in the area and relevant biology for pollination ecology as well as
diversity and distribution information on a global scale in order to frame
the local taxa better.  This is a hobby and I admit my hands are full
learning other groups right now but Diptera are apparently the second most
frequent floral visitor (pollinator?) in my neighborhood.
   I looked at the key being developed by Jeff Skevington, that along with
the recommended websites , and the Manual of Nearctic Diptera; which I've
thumbed through but will soon photo copy; should move me along quickly.
Thank you again everyone for your interest, research, help and continued
feedback, it is going to make my efforts much more effective!

Josh