[Syrphidae] Syrphids from Manhattan

Wouter van Steenis w.vansteenis at andros.demon.nl
Sun Jun 11 22:55:27 BST 2006

Dear Andre,

The two smaller flies are indeed Toxomerus geminatus, as they are from the east coast. In the west lives the pretty similar T. occidentalis. The third picture is an Eupeodes of the americanus group. Both E. pomus and E. americanus occur in the north-east coast of North America.

The Eristalis could belong to several species without more detailed description. The Syritta probably will have been a S. pipiens as this is by far the most common species in North-America.

Best wishes

Wouter

Wouter van Steenis
Vogelmelk 4