[Syrphidae] Keeping hoverflies in captivity

Jamie Gundry jg363 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jul 24 13:16:08 BST 2006

Dear Nico

I've kept Episyrphus balteatus and a number of Eristalis species in
captivity reasonably successfully. You need to feed them up (honey
dissolved in hot water then allowed to cool will do much better than sugar
dissolved in water, I've found); keep them moist using a sprayer can of
water every day or so but without spraying in so much water that they
drown; and store them at about 8 celsius on a light/dark cycle typical of
summertime.

With Eristalis females this triggers their hibernation response and I've
kept them alive for over 3 months in a few cases. It seems to prolong the
lifetime of Episyrphus and of male Eristalis as well, though not to such an
extreme degree. I used small plastic aquaria with any large gaps in their
walls and lids covered with mosquito netting so that I could keep lots of
flies separate from one another in the small coldroom space I had
available.

A false floor (made of mosquito netting held firmly in place with duct
tape, and with care taken to ensure there are no gaps allowing the flies to
penetrate below the false floor) can allow the aquaria to be suitably moist
without the risk of the flies drowning in puddles at the bottom of the
tanks.

I was not needing to breed from my males so did not provide them with
pollen.

Incidentally, several females laid eggs into the tiny puddles that
accumulate in the tanks (if these puddles are big enough to potentially
drown a fly then you're spraying in too much water) and I managed to rear
20 Eristalis pertinax adults from the eggs from one female.

I hope this helps,

Jamie Gundry, University of Cambridge.