[Syrphidae] Hoverfly behavior

Francis Gilbert Francis.Gilbert at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Aug 2 20:03:57 BST 2006

I would imagine they were males, thinking that the wasp was a female Eristalis.

Francis

Dr Francis Gilbert
(on sabbatical in Egypt from 25th Feb 2005)

Info: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/biology/gilbert
Website http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~plzfg
Egyptian-British Biological Society http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~plzfg/EBBSoc/ebbsoc.html

>>> "Jules  Fraytet" <jlfray at ix.netcom.com> 08/02/06 6:38 PM >>>
Greetings to the Hoverfly discussion list

Would someone be able to comment on the following hoverfly behavior?

I was at the Carolina Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge,Chesterfield
County, South Carolina recently and watched  briefly as a Steel-Blue Cricket
Hunter wasp (Chlorion aerarium) dig a hole in the sand probably for dragging
it's prey into this hole and to lay an egg on the prey.    I did not witness
that process, but I did see two Syrphidae, perhaps Eristalis, hovering as if
watching this digging activity.

One landed on a nearby (approx  25 cm  away ) grass leaf and stayed there
perhaps 3 or more minutes.   The other landed more intermittently on another
close herbaceous plant.   What would the hoverflies be looking for since
they feed on nectar and pollen?

Thank you very much

Jules Fraytet