[Syrphidae] About Syrphidae larval habits

Andrew Whittington awhittington at btopenworld.com
Wed Nov 9 15:34:46 GMT 2005

Diogo

You can download the following pdfs:
14. [pdf] Rotheray GE & Gilbert F  (1989)  The phylogeny and
systematics of European predacious Syrphidae (Diptera) based on
larval and puparial stages.  Zoological Journal of the Linnean
Society 95:29-70
28. [pdf] Gilbert F, Rotheray GE, Zafar R & Emerson P  (1994)  The
evolution of feeding strategies. pp 324-343 in P Eggleton & R Vane-
Wright (eds) Phylogenetics and ecology.  Academic Press, London
59. [pdf] Rotheray GE & Gilbert F (1999) Phylogeny of Palaearctic
Syrphidae (Diptera):  evidence from larval stages.  Zoological
Journal of the Linnean Society 127: 1-112
from Francis Gilbert's publications pages at:
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~plzfg/publicns.htm
[the pdf links on this email may work].

Although not specifically about larval habits as you requested, these
papers approach the topic from the phylogenetic point of view -
habits are certainly inherent.

Andrew

--
Andrew E. Whittington PhD FRES
Consultant Entomologist

Mobile: 077 3400 6866

Phone: +44 (0)1368 869 722
Email: awhittington at btopenworld.com

http://www.flyevidence.co.uk

Honorary Fellow of the School of Molecular and Clinical Medicine,
College of Medicine and Veterinary Science,
University of Edinburgh