[Syrphidae] Efficiency of trapping methods for flowerflies

Luciane Marinoni lmarinoni at ufpr.br
Fri Jun 3 11:37:25 BST 2005

HI Everybody!
I would like to clarify the anterior msg of Julio Fontenelle. He has been
using Malaise traps to chatch Syrphidae in Minas Gerais State, Brazil (what
means Neotropical Region and a completely diverse fauna). I believe the
catching of the small ones is much more due to the kind of flying and to the
behaviour than to their size. In all the surveys I have done using Malaise
the Syrphinae are always the most abundant. In a recent project in Parana
State (southern Brazil) where we are evaluating five areas with distinct
vegetational composition the three subfamilies of Syrphidae were collected.
However, the great majority of the specimens (82%) were Syrphinae with 51
spp (some big as Ocyptamus bonariensis). The Microdontinae were about 11%
(10 spp) and Eristalinae, 6% (23 spp). Note also that the species richness
does not follow the abundance. The Syrphinae was the dominant  in each one
of the five areas. Well, this is a good issue to be discussed during our
meeting in Leiden.
Regards to all and looking foward to see you in Leiden,
Luciane Marinoni.