[Syrphidae] Specimens of Palumbia in museums

Gerard Pennards gerard_pennards at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 6 12:45:54 GMT 2005

Dear all,

I am planning to look at two 'species' of the genus Palumbia that occur in
Europe.
The first is Palumbia bellieri Bigot, until last year only known from
Sicily, but now also found in the Pindos mountains of Greece by me last
year.
Second species is Palumbia eristaloides Portschinsky, that occurs in Turky
and the balcan region.
The two species are separated on the color differences of legs and abdomen.
After finding P. bellieri in the Greek mountains, I want to check whether
these are really two species, or one is a color variation of the other.
For that I need material to look at. I got a female specimen of  P. bellieri
myself.
The question to all of you is whether you know a museum or institute which
has material of P. bellieri and/or P. eristaloides that eventually can be
borrowed. Or in a private collection of course!

Thans in advance,
Greetings,
Gerard Pennards