[Syrphidae] A hoverfly dearth?

Stuart Ball syrphidae@nottingham.ac.uk
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:37:27 -0000

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3DE78.3BDF7D50

 Checking identification:  I suggest you get in touch with Roger Morris
(Roger.Morris@English-Nature.org.uk). He and I are joint organisers of the
British Hoverfly Recording Scheme and would be happy to help in return for
eventual access to the records you generate! Roger would be able to check
voucher specimens for you. The recording scheme would very much like a copy
of your results providing we have seen voucher material and can be
relitively confident about the IDs!

Dearth of hovers in 2003: I think most people found that 2003 was a
relatively poor season, especially the late summer and autumn which were
exceptionally dry. Although the early spring got off with a bang, there was
a cool wet period in spring which knocked the early stuff quite quickly. My
experience was that from about mid-May to mid-July was pretty good - it was
really late July/August onwards that the hot dry conditions really began to
bite. I am a canoeist, so I particularly noticed how low rivers were in
September, October and November.

 Stuart Ball

This message has been checked for all known viruses by UUNET delivered
http://www.uk.uu.net/products/security/virus/

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3DE78.3BDF7D50

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV>
<P><FONT face=Arial><FONT color=#0000ff><FONT size=2><SPAN
class=203292910-19012004>&nbsp;Checking identification: &nbsp;</SPAN>I suggest
you get in touch with Roger Morris (Roger.Morris@English-Nature.org.uk). He and
I are joint organisers of the British Hoverfly Recording Scheme and would be
happy to help in return for eventual access to the records you generate! Roger
would be able to check&nbsp;<SPAN
class=203292910-19012004>&nbsp;voucher&nbsp;</SPAN>specimens for you.<SPAN
class=203292910-19012004>&nbsp;The recording scheme would very much like a copy
of your results providing we have seen voucher material and can be relitively
confident about the IDs!</SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=Arial><FONT color=#0000ff><FONT size=2><SPAN
class=203292910-19012004>Dearth of hovers in 2003: I think most people found
that 2003 was a relatively poor season, especially the late summer and autumn
which were exceptionally dry.&nbsp;Although the early spring got off with a
bang, there&nbsp;was a cool wet period in spring which knocked the early stuff
quite quickly. My experience was that from about mid-May to mid-July was pretty
good - it was really late July/August onwards that the hot dry conditions really
began to bite. I am a canoeist, so I particularly noticed how low rivers were in
September, October and November.</SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=Arial><FONT color=#0000ff><FONT size=2><SPAN
class=203292910-19012004>&nbsp;</SPAN>Stuart
Ball</FONT></FONT></FONT></P></DIV>
<BR>
This message has been checked for all known viruses by UUNET delivered <BR>
through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre. For further information visit<BR>
<A
href=http://www.uk.uu.net/products/security/virus/>
http://www.uk.uu.net/products/security/virus/</A><BR>
<BR>