[Syrphidae] syrphid cultures

Jeroen van Schelt syrphidae@nottingham.ac.uk
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:52:09 +0100

tel: + 31 10 5140444

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: syrphidae-admin@nottingham.ac.uk
[mailto:syrphidae-admin@nottingham.ac.uk] Namens christian thompson
Verzonden: maandag 5 januari 2004 16:06
Aan: Jeroen van Schelt; syrphidae@nottingham.ac.uk
Onderwerp: RE: [Syrphidae] syrphid cultures

Jeroen:

Are you saying that Episyrphus balteatus is now being sold as a
commerical product for insect control?

If so, I would be very much interested in seeing your product catalog
and what promotional information you have on this.

This is a wonderful example of the usefulness of syrphids and should,
therefore, be more widely known, etc.

Once, years ago USDA asked me about the possibility of importing
Episyrphus balteatus for the control of the Russian Wheat Aphid. Our
field teams found it one of the first predators of the aphid in the
early stages of the wheat plant.  Unfortunately, when I explained that
Episyrphus was a  migrator and had a wide host range, so that the
species would propably switch to other aphids when available, etc., they
decided not to use it. Likewise, they found Eupeodes corollae and
Sphaerophoria rueppelli common early predators to the Russian wheat
aphid, but decided not to introduce them given their wide host range,
etc.

Cheers =20

F. Christian Thompson
Systematic Entomology Lab., USDA
c/o Smithsonian Institution
MRC-0169 NHB
PO Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012
(202) 382-1800 voice
(202) 786-9422 FAX
cthompso@sel.barc.usda.gov e-mail
www.diptera.org  web site

>>> JvSchelt@Koppert.nl 01/05/04 08:42AM >>>
Dear Phil and others,
Episyrphus balteatus is a Koppert product (trade name Syrphidend) It is
formulated as 50 pupae on two cards Kind reagrds,

Jeroen van Schelt
R&D =20
Koppert B.V.
Veilingweg 17