[Syrphidae] material of Szilady

christian thompson cthompson at sel.barc.usda.gov
Tue Dec 21 09:42:45 GMT 2004

Jens-Hermann:

To be certain one always needs to write Budapest.

While the major part of the Diptera collection was destroyed by fire
during the up-rising back in the early 1950s, some of it survived as 1)
it was in curators' offices (mainly acalyptrate flies) and 2) some was
on loan various groups.

So, the short answer is that the Szilady conopid types like the syrphid
types were PROBABLY all destroyed. However, please write Laszlo Papp and
ask to be certain BEFORE publishing.

Cheers

F. Christian Thompson
Systematic Entomology Lab., USDA
c/o Smithsonian Institution
MRC-0169 NHB
PO Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012
(202) 382-1800 voice
(202) 786-9422 FAX
cthompso at sel.barc.usda.gov e-mail
www.diptera.org  web site

>>> jstuke at zfn.uni-bremen.de 12/21/04 08:13AM >>>
DeaReceived: from SELMAIL-MTA by sel.barc.usda.gov
r all!

It is no question concerning Syrphidae but a similar family: Szilady
described 1926 several Conopidae and I need information whether the
types are destroyed are not. Does anyone know if there does still exist

any material of Szilady or whom I can ask for this?

Thank you very much for your help!

Jens-Hermann Stuke

--

Jens-Hermann Stuke