[Syrphidae] hoverflies in cereal fields

Katherine Robinson k.robinson@csl.gov.uk
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:53:02 +0000

Dear all,

As part of my PhD, I am writing a review of the effects of hoverflies on
cereal aphid populations.  I haven't been able to find any information
about what happens at low aphid densities (pre-threshold, i.e. <5 per
shoot).  In particular I would like to know:

1. At what aphid densities will hoverflies start to lay eggs in a field
(info at any scale would be useful)?
2. What aphid density is needed to sustain a hoverfly larva through
development in the field?
If you know of any publications which might be useful, or can tell me
about any unpublished data or experience, I would be very grateful.

Katherine Robinson

Katherine Robinson			Phone:	+44 (0)1904 462039
Pest biology, modelling and management	GTN:	5129
Central Science Laboratory		Fax:	+44 (0)1904 462111
Sand Hutton				Email:	k.robinson@csl.gov.uk
York YO41 1LZ				Web:	http://www.csl.gov.uk

Disclaimer
The information contained  in this message may include privileged,
proprietary or confidential information. Please treat it with the same
respect that you would expect for your own information.  If you have
received it in error, we apologise, and ask that you contact the CSL
sender immediately and erase it from your computer. Thank you for your
co-operation.

Further information on confidentiality of our communications, can be
found at http://www.csl.gov.uk/email.htm