[Syrphidae] Nausigaster larvae

Graham Rotheray g.rotheray@nms.ac.uk
Mon, 05 Feb 2001 09:27:55 +0000

Dear Doug,  Carrera et al don't say much on colour.  We consider it in not
much greater detail in Rotheray et al 2000 The systematic position of
Alipumilio and Nausigaster based on early stages (Diptera, Syrphidae). Studia
Dipterologica 7, 133-144.

We reared Nausigaster larvae from various species of decaying cacti and
terrestrial bromeliads in southern Mexico and have subsequently reared them
from cacti in Costa Rica.  The blue colouration appears to become more intense
as the larva develops.  In the paper we speculate that it may protect the
larva from the high temperatures characteristic of the larval habitat.

All best wishes,
Graham