[Syrphidae] First International Syrphid Workshop

Graham Rotheray g.rotheray@nms.ac.uk
Thu, 06 Apr 2000 10:26:58 +0100

Dear All, Since the Dipterological Congress at Oxford in 1998, various
people have suggested that syrphid workers would benefit from getting
together for a workshop of their own between congress meetings. Over the
past few years not only has great progress been made in Syrphidology,
but a lot more people from numerous disciplines have become interested
in them.

We are planning to have the First International Syrphid Workshop at the
Natural History Museum in Stuggart.  This is not only a beautiful part
of Germany but a central point in Europe, easily reached by air, road
and rail.  The timing is undecided, but we think it should take place in
school and college holidays sometime between April and August in 2001.
It would be a 3 day meeting and presentations would be published in a
special volume of Volucella.

Before going ahead with more detailed planning, we need to have some
idea about numbers that might attend and preferences over venue,
organisation and timing.  Would you come to the meeting?  Do you have
any preferences about when it takes place? Would you be willing to give
a talk or present a poster?

Please respond, either to this noticeboard or to one of us directly.
Look forward to hearing from you!

Graham Rotheray, Francis Gilbert, Gunilla Stahls-Makela, Ulrich Schmid